Saturday 31 January 2015

Childless Adults Aren't Monsters , An Open a Letter To Legoland Discovery Centre

Dear Legoland Discovery,

I've just read this story. In it you basically defend and stand by your policy that adults are not permitted into your venue without a child! I read it and it made me feel really cross, first of all I'm not going to bring up disability rights and the awful treatment of a man who has been coming to your centre for SEVEN months. Before you decided to treat him in such a manner, I think that's quite awful but that's actually not my issue here.

Selfishly I'm cross for my previous self, the one who worked in visitor attractions, and loved visiting them, I'm not alone either I know lots of childless couples who would happily while away an afternoon wandering around a visitor attraction with their bestie/partner/spouse, and hell one with Lego to play with is just an added bonus! So I'd be mortified if I turned up and was turned away for not having kids because basically what your saying is anyone wanting to come look at cool Lego without kids is a paedophile/criminal/deviant/weirdo/troublemaker right? Lets not mess around here let's not sugar coat it ...

' a spokesman for Legoland Discovery Centre defended the policy and said the venue ran regular evening events for adults.

He said: "Our policy not to permit entry to groups of adults, adult couples, or lone adults, regardless of circumstances, who are not accompanied by a child or children under the age of 16 is we believe therefore appropriate and the best way to constantly maintain a welcoming environment for our young visitors.

"We make no apologies for this policy and believe it to be reasonable and appropriate, and one on which we make no exceptions.'

I just don't think you get the insult here to anyone, regardless of ability, if I wanted to have a day trip away and do some cheesy tourist things pre-children or even now should we ever find ourselves on a grown up weekend! I shouldn't be made to feel like some kind of depraved freak, What exactly is so unwelcoming about childless adults? Really I'd love for you to explain. Because let me tell you I've never encountered this policy in any attraction that I've been to without children, and there have been many ...

  • London aquarium
  • The London Eye
  • Newcastle Discovery Museum
  • The Great NorthMuseum
  • Many London Museums
  • Life Science Centre
  • Edinburgh Dungeons
  • Blackpool Zoo
  • Edinburgh zoo
  • Our Dynamic Life
  • Royal Museum in Scotland
  • Eureka
  • Port Aventura
  • Galleries and museums across the world

I could go on but I think I've made my point clear and sadly so have you. Basically all grown up visitors without children have an ulterior motive or no ability to behave appropriately and it's never occurred to you to just have vigilant staff keeping an eye on all customers to ensure that everyone enjoys the experience in a 'welcoming environment'.

 

Yours with disgust

The Monkeyfooted Mummy

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I read this in my lunchbreak yesterday in utter shock - what is wrong with people!! What a stupid rule! #NEBrilliantBloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I've worked in so many family venues I just CAN NOT imagine saying 'sorry come back with kids' it's just rude

      Delete