Thursday 7 May 2015

Big Red Bath at Northern Stage

Today is one of those days I wish I had the courage to just say 'right were homeschooling' I've had a fab day with just Termite but I know my big kids would have loved to see this show.

Because today we went to one of my most favourite Theatres, Northern Stage (yes I'm a bit of a fan) to see. 'Big Red Bath'. A double treat for us as we also got to spend the afternoon with Sam from the very brilliant North East Family Fun (find out what she though of the show here.)

Here's what the brochure said about Big Red Bath

"It’s the end of a busy day and it is almost time for bed, and Ben and Bella are in the bath.

Splish! Splosh! Splash! Bubbles burst and bubbles rise and a frothy feast of animals jump right in to join in the fun. Come with us on a bubbly, barmy bath time adventure around the world and home again celebrating all things bath time.

Adapted from Julia Jarman’s popular children’s picture book, this quirky, vibrant and humorous tale for 2-5 year olds features music by We Were Evergreen, an alternative indie-electro-pop trio who bring a blend of folk melodies, electro beats and vocal harmonies.

Big Red Bath is an exciting collaboration between Full House Theatre and Half Moon that will appeal to families as it blends music, song and humorous character based performances in a unique new take on this well-loved book."

It sounded irresistible, especially as our Tetmite loves Bath time so we packed our snacks put on our best frock (termite not me, I'm firmly in my mummy uniform) and trundled off.

Sitting in the auditorium waiting for the show to start is always one of my favourite times, the children are so excited and eager and there's such a lovely buzz about Northern Stage.

The set was quite compact but brightly coloured and pleasant to look at. Then the lights went down (like really really dark) and suddenly the fun began!

Do you have any idea what goes on when Mum and Dad aren't in the bathroom? Ben and Bella's bath time is gate crashed in a sploshtastic fashion by a dog, a lion, a duck, a turtle, a hippo, a giraffe and a penguin!

The animals are created using either the bath time props, think sponges toilet seats etc, or by the actors in costumes which if you look carefull have some ingenious inclusion of bathroom essentials. Lions mane is a bunch of flannels, his ears are hair donuts, soap on a rope for a medallion and a bath lilly to finish off his tail!

The soundtrack is catchy (I'd actually love to get my hands on a copy) and had the audience jigging along, and not just the children! With a running time of 40 minutes it's pitchedperfectly for little people and the audience was kept engaged throughout. Our little people today were 3 and 1.5 and each seemed to enjoy it as much as the other. My absolute favourite was the Lion but Termite seemed to love watching the bath fly off into space and be showered with bubbles. We even managed a sneaky splash in the bath too. 

This is a perfect show to bring your little people to, just the right mix of music, dance, storytelling and entertainment. You should definitely give it a shot if your kids are 6 or under. 

When I got home and told the big kids that I'd been to see the Big Red Bath, they both excitedly told me that they know the story and then named all the animals! That's when I knew we should have played hooky and all gone together!

Big Red Bath runs until Saturday and if you are quick you may still get tickets (priced at £8.50 and £6.50 ) on the website or by calling box office on 0191 2305151 and if you want a sneaky peak check out this video.

Big Red Bath from Half Moon Theatre on Vimeo.

 

 

Follow Northern Stage

 

Facebook

Twitter

Follow the Monkeyfooted Mummy

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Instagram

NE Bloggers

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. "Thanks for every other informative site. Where else could I
    am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal method?
    I have a mission that I am just now operating on, and I’ve been on the glance out for
    such information."

    Regards
    Mohd Arif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review, thanks! A CD of music from the show is available to order from www.musicwwe.com/store. So catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds like a great show that is perfect for little ones x

    ReplyDelete