Sunday 10 April 2016

When Your Child Is In Hospital

Last Saturday Peanut who never normally gets up in the night, came to our room to say she couldn't sleep. After checking all the usual's... drink, loo, temp etc. I asked if she wanted to just sleep in with us (we were still on holiday and there was a spare bed in our room of the suite) The next morning she woke feeling a bit grumpy and with several very large and some small mosquito bites on her hands and arms. We had a lazy day and she seemed to feel better so we thought no more of it. Sunday evening however, on the flight home she was hot, grumpy and unwell we gave her paracetamol (never travel without) and she slept most of the way home, then because we landed at around midnight  we checked into our hotel to get some rest before the drive back from Manchester and through the night she was burning up so she had more paracetamol. I should add here that since age 1 she has reacted with urticaria  (hives) to Ibuprofen and so we have been told not to use it for her at all.

By morning I knew she wasn't right, she wouldn't eat anything at breakfast not even the freshly prepared waffle with Nutella which is her favourite. I called our GP to say we were heading back from Manchester and could they squeeze us in. I'll be honest with her reaction to the mosquito bites which were swollen and raised I was worried she had an infection in her system. We couldn't be seen until 4pm and when we got to the doctors there was much concern that we had recently travelled, that she had bites and that her heart rate was 162, Her breathing slower than normal with her oxygen levels at 94 and her temperature at 40.9 he sent us straight to our Paediatric Emergency Department.

Normally there'd be a short wait in this department but we were seen within minutes and taken straight to a bed for monitoring,
She did not enjoy the regular BP , Oxygen and Temperature checks


As peanut can't have ibuprofen she was given more paracetamol but her temperature was not coming down. I asked the nurses if we could maybe speak to a doctor about the benefits of ibuprofen outweighing the risk of an allergic reaction but nobody was very keen and so we kept pushing fluids and monitoring her stats. All of her numbers were still not great and then she started vomiting and  I won't lie, I said may prayers and I begged my poor lethargic girl to get better.



She slept a bit and because we have no children's ward any more (ooh that is a whole other rant though)  there is no space for parents to sleep like there would be on a ward. I really didn't care as I had no plans to sleep but  the nurses brought me a cushion and sheet insistent that I  try to make myself comfortable.
My makeshift bed for the night!
They do such a fab job with what they have, considering lots of them came from the now closed children's ward and I know they would prefer to give patients and their families the comfort of a dedicated ward. We are however still very lucky to have the resources we have.

Peanuts little corner of the ward 


We still didn't know quite what was causing the sky high temperature. Thankfully her heart rate came back into normal range and her BP was a nice healthy figure within a few hours but her oxygen remained at 94/95 and her temperature remained high. Finally at midnight we saw another doctor who stated tonsillitis and agreed that as Peanut was in a safe place and had only had  minor previosus reactions to Ibuprofen and  not anyphylactic ones that we really had no other choice but to try Ibuprofen and keep a close eye for a reaction, we would follow that up with antibiotics and see how we improved. Our nightshift Doctor was calm, polite, eager to listen, keen to ensure I understood everything and really very lovely. So she had the ibuprofen and we waited and watched....MAN ALIVE within an hour we were back normal temperature, normal breathing BP and oxygen! She even asked for a Smarties mini egg so I knew we had turned a corner.


After being monitored some more we got home early Tuesday morning and I can't express how relieved and grateful I am for the Doctors and Nurses who kept me calm, kept Peanut safe and fed me tea at regular intervals

I never in a million years thought a simple (or so I thought) thing like Tonsillitis could make someone as sick as my poor girl was, she had me worried sick and even the nurses said she was a concern (that's when you know its time to worry!) The importance and value of our NHS should never ever be underestimated. If  this had happened one day earlier we would have been in a Greek hospital paying for every single bit of our treatment, admittedly we have a cracking insurance policy because my travel training keeps with me the cost of repatriating sick people and I will never travel without a decent policy. But the cost and the horror of being stuck away from home with a sick baby (yes yes I know shes 7!) is not even worth thinking about right now. I'm counting my blessings that she is home and slowly on the mend (and I'm not talking about  how the other two have caught the bug as well!!!!)
Cuddles and blankets for us
I'm counting my blessings that our GP sent us to the hospital and that our NHS is staffed by dedicated and hard working nurses, doctors, health care assistance and everyone else and Im grateful to every single one of you who messaged me to offer, food, cake, childcare, hugs distractions and sympathy. It helped A LOT I'm hoping and praying that Mr Cameron wakes up to the value of the NHS and invests more time and money in a beautiful and life saving resource

16 comments:

  1. Ah I am so pleased she is on the mend now - nothing beats a mother's instinct. Glad the 'brufen worked for her xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her! Glad she's better. What a worry xx
    (Didn't even realise our children's ward had closed) :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased she is better and you got first class service from our NHS! My experience of the NHS is the same! Where would we be without them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased she was seen so quickly and scary to think of it happening a day earlier, it's that thought which scares me most about travelling and I've not braved with the kids yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've needed medical help abroad more than once and I promise the only scary thing has been the cost!

      Delete
  5. What a scare. Nothing worse. Pleased she's ok. NHS is so important, bloody Tories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, don't get me wrong it has its faults and I don't think fixing it is easy but it needs nurture not destruction

      Delete
    2. It really is, don't get me wrong it has its faults and I don't think fixing it is easy but it needs nurture not destruction

      Delete
  6. I am so pleased that she is OK. There is nothing worse. We are so lucky to have the HNS

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased she's ok, there really is nothing worse than being in hospital with a poorly child x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awful, but I'm pleased she's getting better. It's terrible when kids are poorly. When Jnr was 2 he was hospitalised after a trip to Turkey and some nasty mosquito bites for two weeks. Don't think I slept a wink until he was discharged!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been so scary for you , I am so pleased she is ok . Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Currently going through a similar experience for the second time this year with our 3 year old, admission for hideous tonsilitis. What an experience! Glad Peanut is all recovered xx

    ReplyDelete