Tuesday 16 July 2013

It'll be 'all white'

I'm sure you all know by now, I like to do my bit for the environment, and I like to save money. These two things have resulted in my use of home made cleaning products and my choice for termite to use cloth nappies.

 Back to saving money though, I of course haven't bought new or full price cloth nappies, in preparation for my little darling's arrival. I have been ferreting away passed on stashes, bargain pre-loved bundles and sale buys, I have a nice little pile of nappies and unfortunately not a clue what to do with them!




 

So to start they need cleaning, some of my inserts boosters and liners are looking,as you can see, a little grey.



I don't want to bleach them as they are going to be near some very precious and lovely skin so I sought the advice of other cloth Mum's. Now here's my light bulb moment, I cant believe that me,the girl who gets shiny windows using vinegar and newspaper, gleaming ovens with bicarb and glistening surfaces with lemon and water, I don't know about the magic of the sun! The reply back from my cloth mummy's was to hang them out in the sun and watch the magic. A little internet search reveals, this has been going on for century's! In days gone by there were such things as 'Bleaching Grounds' large areas of land dedicated to cleaning! Here folk would bring their washed whites and spread them out to let the sun bake them into gleaming blinding whiteness once again!

As you can see from the pictures there is some magic needed for my liners and inserts but they have been steeped in a little lemon and water and are going to be left in the sun to become gleaming things of beauty.



I shall post again tomorrow with the results, but in the mean time, if you are reading this and you are a Fluffy Mummy please please leave your tips and advice for anything related to cloth nappy use in the comments box, I always love hearing from you and there is nothing better than parental advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment